Radio-Frequency Identification (RFID) is a technology that uses radio-frequency electromagnetic fields to transfer information from an RFID tag to RFID reader for identification purposes. The tags used do not require battery power and in turn they derive power from the electromagnetic field generated from the reader. Few tags are also available which have their own power source.
RFID technology is used in many industrial applications for tracking purpose. For example, it is used in manufacturing industries such automobile industry to track the vehicle during the complete production cycle of it. RFID tag can also be fixed to books, mobile phones, electronic equipments for tracking purposes.
5 RFID Based Projects
Below mentioned are few RFID based projects ideas that will help engineering students to understand RFID technology and to develop various applications out of it. Each project mentioned below can be used for multiple applications by just modifying the program burnt in the microcontroller.
RFID system is used to authorize the tag holder to enter a secure area. It reads the data present on the RFID tag and compares it with data present in the microcontroller. If the data is matched, it displays the status of authorizing the entry which is indicated with a lamp coupled with an LCD display.
Short Description of the Project
Here the RFID card is used, which is inductively coupled to the reader. When the card is swiped against the reader, the modulated data from the card is send to the reader. This data is fed to the microcontroller. The card used is the identity card for the particular person and carries his/her details. When this data matches with the data stored in the database of the microcontroller, the person is given the authority to enter the secured area. Here this is indicated by the lamp being switched on. The microcontroller is programmed such that when the data matches with the existing data, the relay driver gets a high logic input at one of its input pin. The corresponding output pin goes low to provide proper connection to the relay. The relay coil now gets energized and the armature shifts its position such that now the whole circuit is completed and the load gets supply from AC mains and gets switched on. The status of authority of the person is also displayed on the LCD display interfaced to the microcontroller.
A RFID tag is used along with the reader to input the details of the employee/ student for tracking their attendance. When the RFID is swiped on the reader, the data of the tag is compared with data in the microcontroller (interfaced to the reader) to identify the user. An LCD is interfaced to the microcontroller to display the name of the user. Additionally, a status button is used to display the overall attendance of the user.
Short Description of the Project
Here a RFID tag is used which is indirectly connected to the RFID reader using inductive coupling method. As the tag or the card is swiped against the reader, the tag receives a carrier signal from the reader and in turn modulates the carrier signal and sends it back. The reader receives this modulated signal and sends this data to the microcontroller. The microcontroller compares this data with the existing data and on pressing the status push button, the status of the card holder is shown on the display, indicating the attendance of the cardho.
This project is designed to identify the passenger and display his/her passport details on the display. Each user is allotted with a dedicated RFID tag. This RFID tag when swiped over a reader, access the database on the microcontroller and displays all the required details of that particular user.
RFID device control system is designed to authorize the tag holder to control a particular device. RFID reader reads the data present on the tag and compares it with data present of the microcontroller. The data if matched will result in accessing the particular device connected to the system. An LCD is interfaced to the microcontroller to display the status of the device. PIC16F8 series microcontroller is used in this project.
The RFID based system can also be used to control the entry and exit of cars into parking system, using the RFID tag. The tag can be used as a credit card where the parking amount is deducted and accordingly the car gets entry to the parking lot. The RFID card of the driver is swiped and the control unit accordingly deducts the amount from the card and displays the parking space number on the display.
Following is the list of some more RFID Based Projects:
- RFID Application Strategy and Deployment in Bike Renting System
- Consumer Acceptance of RFID Technology: An Exploratory Study
- Application Fields of RFID in Health Safety and Environment Management
- Shopping Path Analysis and Transaction Mining Based on RFID Technology
- RFID Instrumentation in a Field Application
- RF Controller Development and Its Application in Intelligent Transport System
- A Multi-Carrier UHF Passive RFID System
- Transportation Quality Monitor Using Sensor Active RFID
- A Component-based Reconfigurable RFID Middle ware
- Parameter Estimation of RFID Network Data Traffic Load
- Adaptive k-Way Splitting and Pre-Signaling for RFID Tag Anti-Collision
- Design and Experiments on Cable Inspection Robot
- RFID based Indoor Antenna Localization System using Passive Tag and variable RF-Attenuation
- The Electronic Passport and the Future of Government Issued RFID based Identification
- Replacing Cryptography with Ultra Wideband (UWB) Modulation in Secure RFID
- Utilizing RFID Signaling Scheme for Localization of Stationary Objects and Speed Estimation of Mobile Objects
- RFID based Library Automation System
- Security Access Control System Using Bar Code Reader
- RFID based Electronic Passport System
- RFID Security Access Control System
- Library Automation Using Bar Code Reader
- Smart Card based Access Control System
- RFID based Airport Luggage Security Scanning System
- Smart Card based Electronic Passport System
- RFID based Banking System
- RFID based Latch.
- RFID based Library Management.
- RFID based Health Care system
- RFID based bus Indicator.
- RFID based Toll Booth Automation.
- RFID based Intelligent Signals.
- RFID based Unmanned Petrol Pump.
- RFID based Car Parking.
- RFID based Hotel Room Management.
- RFID based Person Tracking.
- RFID based CAR for signal break detection.
- RFID based Shopping cart.
- RFID Based Pre-Paid Energy Meter.
- RFID based Bus Announcement System for Blind.
- A Mobile RFID -Tracking Security System
- RFID based Prescriptions in Automated Pharmaceutical Systems
- RFID based Intelligent Books Shelving System
- RFID based Equipment/Personnel Tracking in Hospitals
- RFID based Valuable Objects Insurance Identification
- RFID based Vehicle Tracking and Monitoring System
- RFID Fare Verification – RFID Bus Pass System
- RFID based Automatic Toll Tax Deduction System
- RFID based Electronic Road Pricing for Controlling the Traffic
- RFID based Event Tracking System for Sports
- RFID based Inventory Tracking System
- RFID based Parts Tracking System for Manufacturing
- RFID based Prepaid Energy Meter with Recharge Option
- RFID based Railway Platform to Display Exact Position of Each Coach
- RFID based Railway Reservation
- Bus Fare Pay System for Passengers
- Medi-card for Patients
- RFID Enabled Passport Verification
- RFID Enabled Voter-ID
- RFID based Ration Card
- RFID based Voting Machine
- Score Card for Industries using RFID
Check out the list of various communication based projects to get good practical knowledge in electronics for ECE and EEE students.